Fake eyelashes are a great way to make your eyes huge and prominent, which is why they are a great addition to your makeup kit. Some people fear that they are difficult to put on, but in reality, all you need is a bit of practice. Once you get the hang of it, they can easily fit into your usual makeup routine without requiring much more time.
There are two kinds you can choose from, individual extensions or strips.
Most of what is sold in stores are the strips and they are also much easier to put on. You can easily find them even in drugstores and for as low as $2.
Because different people have different eyes, strip eyelashes are also available in various shapes. This means if your eyes are smaller, you should reach out for those that are thick at the end; whereas fake eyelashes that are thicker at the center of the eye are better for those with wide-set eyes or those with little crease. Those with deep-set eyes, on the other hand, will find longer lashes the best option for them. By knowing your eye shape, you can choose the right fake strip eyelashes that can complement it best.
As the name suggests, these are clumps of hair that you will attach one by one. The main advantage is that they look very real and will look much more natural along with your real lashes. They are also great if you just want to fill in areas in your eyelashes that are thinner than others. Because they are also thinner, they only need a minute each to be applied.
On the other hand, the application of individual lashes can be much trickier, and you might need someone to help you such as a professional.
Applying Your Fake Eyelashes
Before you become too scared of applying your faux eyelashes, it pays to see other people do it. You can ask someone at the salon or you can turn to the Internet. There are many different videos online that you can watch to get an idea and to be familiar with the steps. Of course, these people are experienced already and you can expect your first time to be clumsy. Just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it. If you are planning to put on fake eyelashes for a special event, it is best to try it out a couple of times beforehand so that you know you can do it well by the time you need them on.
Here are the steps for applying your own faux eyelashes.
- Curl your own lashes and if they are lighter in color, apply some mascara.
- Take one strip of eyelashes, holding it against your eyelid to see if it fits perfectly. If not, cut it on the shorter side.
- Put a little bit of glue onto the lash strip, and not directly on the lashes.
- Wait about 20 seconds for the glue to dry a little. If it is too wet or dry, it simply will not stick.
- Attach the strip by pressing it to your lash line. You should start from the inner corner (closer to your nose) and move outwards. You can use the end of a makeup brush to adjust it before the glue dries. Try to put it as close to the lash line as possible, until there is no more space in between.
- Keep your eye closed for another minute until the glue dries completely. This is to avoid any glue from getting inside your eye. If there is extra glue, use a Q-tip to remove it.
- Do the other side and continue with the rest of your makeup.
Removing Your Faux Eyelashes
After a long night out, you might not be in the mood to remove your fake eyelashes, and it won’t be that bad. However, you should take the time to do it. At times, taking them off can be complicated if the glue sticks to your natural ones. To loosen it, use a cotton swab with a little bit of non-oil based makeup remover and keep it in your eye for a few minutes. You should be able to pull it out easily.
Faux eyelashes are not that complicated to apply and remove, especially once you learn how it’s done. After some practice, you can find yourself being able to do it in a few minutes. These few steps, however, will make you look more appealing by highlighting those beautiful eyes.